Axis2/C

Zeman, Vaclav
Hi.

Here at CA Technologies, we are looking for a library to support our SOAP client side code. I have come across Apache Axis C++ and Apache Axis2/C. What is the relation between the two libraries? With the “2” in the name, Axis2/C gives me impression of being maintained and more current. Is my impression correct?

We are looking for a cross platform library. Our range of platforms is at least Windows, Linux, Solaris and HP-UX. Does Axis2/C support all of these or more?

We are also looking for a library with features. The features we are looking for are HTTP proxy authentication, NTLM authentication, Kerberos authentication. Are these features supported?

One thing that concerns me with Axis2/C is that the last release (1.6.0) was in 2009. I have checked mailing list archives and there is some activity. Why has the least release been so long ago?

While browsing the mailing list archives, I have noticed a bug report of Solaris compilation failure. Since Solaris is one of the platforms that we need to support, this looks like Axis/C 1.6.0 would not support it out of the box. Assuming the problem is fixed in development sources in your subversion repository, we could use development sources. Though that gives me less confidence in recommending Axis2/C for our use. Are trunk/head development sources stable for production use?

--
VZ

RE: Axis2/C

Zeman, Vaclav
Also, where can I get the releases? It does not spark confidence that http://axis.apache.org/axis2/c/core/download.cgi links lead to 404 pages.

--
VZ

Re: Axis2/C

Oscar Pernas
Hi zeman, I wasted so many time trying to make Axis2c working, but I allways got into memory leaks or bugs. In my oppinion, is not a suitable software for production environment.

Regards

Óscar Pernas Plaza.

Re: Axis2/C

Tharindu Mathew-2
Hi folks,

I'm currently doing a project for GSoC for Axis2/C. The plan is to get the wheels rolling again on Axis2/C after getting some improvements and bug fixes in.

This will happen over the next 3/4 months. So, if you can afford to wait for some time we probably will have something going.

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Oscar Pernas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi zeman, I wasted so many time trying to make Axis2c working, but I allways got into memory leaks or bugs. In my oppinion, is not a suitable software for production environment.

Regards

2013/5/31 Zeman, Vaclav <[hidden email]>

Also, where can I get the releases? It does not spark confidence that http://axis.apache.org/axis2/c/core/download.cgi links lead to 404 pages.

--
VZ

Óscar Pernas Plaza.

RE: Axis2/C

Moens, David B
Vaclav,
I've had the same problem as you with the 1.6.0 release, and my queries have gone nowhere. From all I have seen, Axis (vs. Axis2) is a dead end and should not be pursued. Axis2/Java appears quite active. The primary alternative out there (gSoap) is not attractive to me since it is basically code generator vs. a library. For now, even though it presents integration issues for me (we have legacy applications and don't use Java on our platform), I will probably be using Axis2/Java, at least for the pilot phase. I Axis2/C wakes up, we will re-evaluate. I hope this is helpful in your decision.
Dave Moens

Re: Axis2/C

Ceri Davies
Well, keep the group posted, but I too abandoned Axis/2c due to problems and lack of support with those problems.  I ended up using curl, which is a little lower level, but can easily be made to look like a web services message, and I use it to talk to weblogic web services.

Ceri Davies | Principal Software Engineer | Ceri.Davies@...
Work:
(Note: Home phone forwards to Cell, so try Home# first)
Oracle Storage | 500 Eldorado Blvd. | Broomfield, CO 80021

On May 31, 2013, at 5:36 AM, Tharindu Mathew wrote:

[...]

Thomas Gentsch
I have been using Axis2C 1.6.0 it in two projects successfully (Linux,
Windows both 32/64, HPUX), however mostly in a do-it-myself manner. I
fixed a few things (also posted defects and submitted patches) and in
the scenario I'm using it, I'm quite happy.
Currently I'm playing with it in another scenario and indeed found a
couple of memory leaks (however, easy to find with valgrind and mostly
easy to fix).

The code itself looks to me a bit cumbersome but at least understandable
(which I believe already is something valuable :-)

However, in the end, it seems suspiciously quiet and it does not look
like major future steps. But if it does right now what you need, why not
using it?

Building it on HPUX was fiddling with compiler flags, so I'd hope that
Solaris is not more difficult?

In one of the projects I used it with Rampart in a scenario
communicating with a Java server, which was more of a hassle figuring
out how it works, but in the end it did.

Regards,
  tge

On Fri, 2013-05-31 at 08:38 -0600, Ceri Davies wrote:

> Well, keep the group posted, but I too abandoned Axis/2c due to
> problems and lack of support with those problems.  I ended up using
> curl, which is a little lower level, but can easily be made to look
> like a web services message, and I use it to talk to weblogic web
> services.
>

> Ceri Davies | Principal Software Engineer | [hidden email]
> Work: +1 3032727810  x77810 | Home: +1 3035321116 | Cell: +1
> 3038706743
> (Note: Home phone forwards to Cell, so try Home# first)
> Oracle Storage | 500 Eldorado Blvd. | Broomfield, CO 80021
>  Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help
> protect the environment
>
> On May 31, 2013, at 5:36 AM, Tharindu Mathew wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>

> I'm currently doing a project for GSoC for Axis2/C. The plan is to get
> the wheels rolling again on Axis2/C after getting some improvements
> and bug fixes in.
>

> This will happen over the next 3/4 months. So, if you can afford to
> wait for some time we probably will have something going.
>

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Oscar Pernas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Hi zeman, I wasted so many time trying to make Axis2c working,
>         but I allways got into memory leaks or bugs. In my oppinion,
>         is not a suitable software for production environment.
>

>         Regards
>

>         2013/5/31 Zeman, Vaclav <[hidden email]>
>
>                 Also, where can I get the releases? It does not spark
>                 confidence that
>                 http://axis.apache.org/axis2/c/core/download.cgi links
>                 lead to 404 pages.
>
>                 --
>                 VZ

Re: Axis2/C

nshifman

Hi all,

I have integrated Axis2C with a C++ code on Solaris, for a client module, that communicates with a web service on the server side.  I've had problems with building, but I solved them by changing some compilation flags.  At run-time, I encountered core dumps initially.  I figured out, that the cause of those was the way I used and re-used string data types like axis2_char_t,  I fixed those issues by freeing the strings with AXIS2_FREE.

I have it successfully running in production now.

I think the make and install scripts are huge and very complex and, in my opinion, they do some unnecessary things.  It's very hard to figure out the logic in the scripts.  And still, some compiler versions or platforms are not fully supported, e.g. you have to change the compiler options to be able to build on Sun Studio 12 compiler on 64-bit platform.

I am sure, that if a new release of Axis2C -

  • fixes the known bugs,
  • makes the compilation process easier by simplifying make/install scripts,
  • provides better documentation and support for developers (please, publish more developer guidelines and quicker responses on user forum) ,
I would be a big success, because at the end of the day, this system does it's job, and provides you the support you need.

Nadine

Inactive hide details for Thomas Gentsch ---06/03/2013 06:09:28 AM---I have been using Axis2C 1.6.0 it in two projects successfThomas Gentsch ---06/03/2013 06:09:28 AM---I have been using Axis2C 1.6.0 it in two projects successfully (Linux, Windows both 32/64, HPUX), ho

Thomas Gentsch <[hidden email]>

Apache AXIS C User List <[hidden email]>

06/03/2013 06:09 AM

Re: Axis2/C

I have been using Axis2C 1.6.0 it in two projects successfully (Linux,
Windows both 32/64, HPUX), however mostly in a do-it-myself manner. I
fixed a few things (also posted defects and submitted patches) and in
the scenario I'm using it, I'm quite happy.
Currently I'm playing with it in another scenario and indeed found a
couple of memory leaks (however, easy to find with valgrind and mostly
easy to fix).

The code itself looks to me a bit cumbersome but at least understandable
(which I believe already is something valuable :-)

However, in the end, it seems suspiciously quiet and it does not look
like major future steps. But if it does right now what you need, why not
using it?

Building it on HPUX was fiddling with compiler flags, so I'd hope that
Solaris is not more difficult?

In one of the projects I used it with Rampart in a scenario
communicating with a Java server, which was more of a hassle figuring
out how it works, but in the end it did.

Regards,
 tge

On Fri, 2013-05-31 at 08:38 -0600, Ceri Davies wrote:
> Well, keep the group posted, but I too abandoned Axis/2c due to
> problems and lack of support with those problems.  I ended up using
> curl, which is a little lower level, but can easily be made to look
> like a web services message, and I use it to talk to weblogic web
> services.
>

> Ceri Davies | Principal Software Engineer | [hidden email]
> Work: +1 3032727810  x77810 | Home: +1 3035321116 | Cell: +1
> 3038706743
> (Note: Home phone forwards to Cell, so try Home# first)
> Oracle Storage | 500 Eldorado Blvd. | Broomfield, CO 80021
>  Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help
> protect the environment
>
> On May 31, 2013, at 5:36 AM, Tharindu Mathew wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>

> I'm currently doing a project for GSoC for Axis2/C. The plan is to get
> the wheels rolling again on Axis2/C after getting some improvements
> and bug fixes in.
>

> This will happen over the next 3/4 months. So, if you can afford to
> wait for some time we probably will have something going.
>

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Oscar Pernas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Hi zeman, I wasted so many time trying to make Axis2c working,
>         but I allways got into memory leaks or bugs. In my oppinion,
>         is not a suitable software for production environment.
>

>         Regards
>

>         2013/5/31 Zeman, Vaclav <[hidden email]>
>
>                 Also, where can I get the releases? It does not spark
>                 confidence that

http://axis.apache.org/axis2/c/core/download.cgi links
>                 lead to 404 pages.
>
>                 --
>                 VZ

AW: Axis2/C

Stadelmann Josef-2
I have ported Axis2/C 1.2 some 6 years ago and we use Axutil and Axiom to deal with OM models/structures and we are still using it as part of our legacy server. This legacy server gest feed with a long SOAP/XML string through WSIT from HP. It gets feed by the web service which is on JAVA 6.0, TOMCAT and is based on Axis2-1.6.1. I had to make a few things OpenVMS platform dependent, but that was it.

Josef Stadelmann