Axis2/C vs Axis2/C unofficial

Andreas.Voellmy
Hi all

I'm looking into using Axis2/C to integrate our old legacy C application with the rest of our environment.

Currently I'm wondering, if I should use 1.6.0 or if axis2c-unofficial (https://code.google.com/p/axis2c-unofficial/) would be a better option.

Can anyone tell me, if axis2c-unofficial is stable enough to be used in a productive environment? And if it will be possible to switch back to the official versions, once there is a new official version of axis2c?

Thanks
Regards
Andreas

Re: Axis2/C vs Axis2/C unofficial

Thomas Gentsch

I never really used the "unofficial" version (recently discovered it,
hence too late), but when fixing a few memory leaks in the official
version I looked through it roughly.
My understanding is that they branched off the official version and
fixed quite a few memory leaks and corruptions plus added some features.
What I have seen looked quite reasonable - so as a summary I'd hope that
it is at least not worse than the official version :-)

And, they wrote something that they started the unofficial branch due to
the refusal of the official maintainers to adopt some things ... so, if
somebody asked me :-) I'd strongly vote for merging the unofficial
version back into the official one!

Regards,
  tge

On Wed, 2013-08-28 at 09:28 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm looking into using Axis2/C to integrate our old legacy C
> application with the rest of our environment.
>
> Currently I'm wondering, if I should use 1.6.0 or if axis2c-unofficial
> (https://code.google.com/p/axis2c-unofficial/) would be a better
> option.
>
> Can anyone tell me, if axis2c-unofficial is stable enough to be used
> in a productive environment? And if it will be possible to switch back
> to the official versions, once there is a new official version of
> axis2c?
>
> Thanks
> Regards
> Andreas

Re: Axis2/C vs Axis2/C unofficial

Alex Mantaut
Hi,
    We started Axis2/C unofficial project as an alternative between 1.6 branch and trunk, in order to use it as a part in another project.

    Additionally there are some additional bugfixes and features (JSON, some memory leaks and stability fixes) that weren't implemented on trunk.

    This version is more stable that the current ones in the official repository, and it keeps mostly the same interface (so you will be able to switch back to the official repository once a new release emerges) ... I'm currently using it in production environments (mostly in the client side)

     I completely agree with Thomas idea, the idea is to merge the repositories and release a new official version, right now the unofficial repository is just a workaround to have a stable version with a couple more features than 1.6.0 for another project.

Regards

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 3:40 AM, Thomas Gentsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

I never really used the "unofficial" version (recently discovered it,
hence too late), but when fixing a few memory leaks in the official
version I looked through it roughly.
My understanding is that they branched off the official version and
fixed quite a few memory leaks and corruptions plus added some features.
What I have seen looked quite reasonable - so as a summary I'd hope that
it is at least not worse than the official version :-)

And, they wrote something that they started the unofficial branch due to
the refusal of the official maintainers to adopt some things ... so, if
somebody asked me :-) I'd strongly vote for merging the unofficial
version back into the official one!

Regards,
  tge

On Wed, 2013-08-28 at 09:28 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm looking into using Axis2/C to integrate our old legacy C
> application with the rest of our environment.
>
> Currently I'm wondering, if I should use 1.6.0 or if axis2c-unofficial
> (https://code.google.com/p/axis2c-unofficial/) would be a better
> option.
>
> Can anyone tell me, if axis2c-unofficial is stable enough to be used
> in a productive environment? And if it will be possible to switch back
> to the official versions, once there is a new official version of
> axis2c?
>
> Thanks
> Regards
> Andreas

Mantaut Alex
Intraway Corp.

+54 (11) 6040-4000
MSN:
[hidden email]

Visit our website at http://www.intraway.com
Proud to be an ISO 9001:2008 certified company

Re: Axis2/C vs Axis2/C unofficial

Tharindu Mathew-2
I have submitted some patches that ports some work in the unofficial branch to the official one.

Hopefully, we can do a release in around October with all the fixes merged.

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Alex Mantaut <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
    We started Axis2/C unofficial project as an alternative between 1.6 branch and trunk, in order to use it as a part in another project.

    Additionally there are some additional bugfixes and features (JSON, some memory leaks and stability fixes) that weren't implemented on trunk.

    This version is more stable that the current ones in the official repository, and it keeps mostly the same interface (so you will be able to switch back to the official repository once a new release emerges) ... I'm currently using it in production environments (mostly in the client side)

     I completely agree with Thomas idea, the idea is to merge the repositories and release a new official version, right now the unofficial repository is just a workaround to have a stable version with a couple more features than 1.6.0 for another project.

Regards

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 3:40 AM, Thomas Gentsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

I never really used the "unofficial" version (recently discovered it,
hence too late), but when fixing a few memory leaks in the official
version I looked through it roughly.
My understanding is that they branched off the official version and
fixed quite a few memory leaks and corruptions plus added some features.
What I have seen looked quite reasonable - so as a summary I'd hope that
it is at least not worse than the official version :-)

And, they wrote something that they started the unofficial branch due to
the refusal of the official maintainers to adopt some things ... so, if
somebody asked me :-) I'd strongly vote for merging the unofficial
version back into the official one!

Regards,
  tge

On Wed, 2013-08-28 at 09:28 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm looking into using Axis2/C to integrate our old legacy C
> application with the rest of our environment.
>
> Currently I'm wondering, if I should use 1.6.0 or if axis2c-unofficial
> (https://code.google.com/p/axis2c-unofficial/) would be a better
> option.
>
> Can anyone tell me, if axis2c-unofficial is stable enough to be used
> in a productive environment? And if it will be possible to switch back
> to the official versions, once there is a new official version of
> axis2c?
>
> Thanks
> Regards
> Andreas

Mantaut Alex
Intraway Corp.

MSN:
[hidden email]

Visit our website at http://www.intraway.com
Proud to be an ISO 9001:2008 certified company

Tharindu Mathew

Re: Axis2/C vs Axis2/C unofficial

Amir Mousavizadegan
I tried to compile the 1.6 code from repository, and got  an error during ./configuration:

[hidden email] ~/axis2c-unofficial
$ ./configure --prefix=$AXIS2C_HOME --enable-tcp
checking whether to build guththila xml parser library... yes
checking whether to build libxml2 xml parser library... ./configure: line 15705:
 syntax error near unexpected token `LIBXML2,'