[Axis2] Migration from Axis 1.4 to Axis2 1.7.5

[Axis2] Migration from Axis 1.4 to Axis2 1.7.5

Jon Wong
Dear all,

I am currently trying to upgrade an existing Web Service that was written in Axis 1.4 to Axis2 1.7.5. I have taken the existing Axis 1.4 WSDL and used the Axis2 1.7.5 Wsdl2Java tool to create the Java files with the following command:

./wsdl2java.sh -uri [my wsdl location].wsdl -d adb -wv 1.1 -ss -sd -ssi

After running the command, some of the generated classes have a capital "E" appended to them such as responseE.java. Is this a known Axis2 bug or an issue with my Wsdl or is this expected behavior?

Also is deploying an Axis2 service in an .aar file necessary? Could one just use a .war file instead?

Kind regards,

Jonathan Wong
Jr. Software Engineer
Accu-Time Systems, Inc.
175 Federal Street, Suite 1225 | Boston, MA 02110
t: +1 860 375 1943
[hidden email]
https://www.accu-time.com

Re: [Axis2] Migration from Axis 1.4 to Axis2 1.7.5

robertlazarski .
On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Jon Wong <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am currently trying to upgrade an existing Web Service that was written in
> Axis 1.4 to Axis2 1.7.5. I have taken the existing Axis 1.4 WSDL and used
> the Axis2 1.7.5 Wsdl2Java tool to create the Java files with the following
> command:
>
> ./wsdl2java.sh -uri [my wsdl location].wsdl -d adb -wv 1.1 -ss -sd -ssi
>

> After running the command, some of the generated classes have a capital "E"
> appended to them such as responseE.java. Is this a known Axis2 bug or an
> issue with my Wsdl or is this expected behavior?

Don't recall ever seeing that issue. I'd suspect the wsdl.

BTW, there is a migration guide from axis1 to axis2:

https://axis.apache.org/axis2/java/core/docs/migration.html

> Also is deploying an Axis2 service in an .aar file necessary? Could one just
> use a .war file instead?

AFAIK the aar is required and it needs to be inside the WAR, though
you can expand it as a directory under, for example,
WEB-INF/services/myAARDir .

RE: [Axis2] Migration from Axis 1.4 to Axis2 1.7.5

Jon Wong
Thank you for the helpful response Robert. I managed to generate my classes with the Wsdl2Java without an extra "E" at the end by making modifications to my Wsdl.

I still have some questions about embedding Axis2 into an existing application and deploying it. I have followed steps outlined here: https://axis.apache.org/axis2/java/core/docs/quickstartguide.html and generated an .aar file using the command mvn axis2-aar:aar and would like to embed that into a .war file.

I am building the .war file through Maven and placing the .aar file into webapps/WEB-INF/services/ directory. Are the .mar files necessary in this case? When importing the WSDL with SOAP UI and testing out the operations I have defined, I am receiving a 500 Error. What would be a good debugging strategy in this scenario?

Any feedback or advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Jon Wong <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the helpful response Robert. I managed to generate my classes with the Wsdl2Java without an extra "E" at the end by making modifications to my Wsdl.
>
> I still have some questions about embedding Axis2 into an existing application and deploying it. I have followed steps outlined here: https://axis.apache.org/axis2/java/core/docs/quickstartguide.html and generated an .aar file using the command mvn axis2-aar:aar and would like to embed that into a .war file.
>
> I am building the .war file through Maven and placing the .aar file into webapps/WEB-INF/services/ directory. Are the .mar files necessary in this case? When importing the WSDL with SOAP UI and testing out the operations I have defined, I am receiving a 500 Error. What would be a good debugging strategy in this scenario?
>
> Any feedback or advice would be highly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jonathan Wong

No mar files required (unless by Soap UI you mean the soap monitor)
though you may require a version.aar, included in the axis2 binary
distro, in your services dir ... at one point it was required, not
sure in the latest release so I include it anyways.

Look at the logs for the stack trace that caused the 500 error, if in
doubt post the entire stack trace in a response to this email thread.