Board concerns over Axis project reports

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Board concerns over Axis project reports

Shane Curcuru
Dear Axis community:

In recent quarterly reports from the Apache Axis PMC to the Apache
board, there is a question seeking out a new PMC chair to ensure that
reports are thorough and submitted in a timely manner.

  https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/Axis

Has there been any further discussion within the PMC or the larger
community about any volunteers for a PMC chair to submit board reports?
It's not a lot of work, but it is an important part of showing that your
project is active.

Similarly, there had been discussion about moving more sub-projects to
the Apache Attic (effectively making them read-only, and telling users
they're no longer maintained) which don't seem to have all come to a
conclusion, nor is the project homepage listing which subproject sites
have been boxed in the Attic versus being actively developed.

As a project with a long history and stable software, it's fine when the
pace of development slows down.  But the ASF still needs to ensure that
we're clearly letting users know how active the development is on
different subprojects, as well as honestly admitting when there aren't
enough developers on some part of the project to keep up with user
issues and/or any new security issues.

Thanks,
--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Board concerns over Axis project reports

Dennis Kieselhorst-2
> As a project with a long history and stable software, it's fine when the
> pace of development slows down. But the ASF still needs to ensure that
> we're clearly letting users know how active the development is on
> different subprojects, as well as honestly admitting when there aren't
> enough developers on some part of the project to keep up with user
> issues and/or any new security issues.

The state of the Axis project is really sad. There are motivated people
that want to contribute stuff but get no feedback for their patches (see
previous topic:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/5c25cb35b506644abd68141361b5394617fe25ce70da003212f660dd@<java-dev.axis.apache.org>).
In other projects this is the way to get new committers on board.

That's why I'm currently migrating Axis2 applications to CXF.

Regards
Dennis

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Board concerns over Axis project reports

Andreas Veithen-2
On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> As a project with a long history and stable software, it's fine when the
>> pace of development slows down. But the ASF still needs to ensure that
>> we're clearly letting users know how active the development is on
>> different subprojects, as well as honestly admitting when there aren't
>> enough developers on some part of the project to keep up with user
>> issues and/or any new security issues.
>
> The state of the Axis project is really sad. There are motivated people
> that want to contribute stuff but get no feedback for their patches (see
> previous topic:

Note that you can't make that statement based on the data you are
using, because AFAICS you are only looking at open issues with
patches. You would have to also look at closed issues where patches
actually have been applied.

> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/5c25cb35b506644abd68141361b5394617fe25ce70da003212f660dd@<java-dev.axis.apache.org>).
> In other projects this is the way to get new committers on board.
>
> That's why I'm currently migrating Axis2 applications to CXF.
>
> Regards
> Dennis
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]