Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

1234

Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Deepal Jayasinghe-2
All,

Seems like we do not have enough activities going on Axis2/c and Axis1
project, and no clear plans for future release or bug fixes. Unless
someone wants to come forward to keep the projects active I would
consider moving them to Attic.

What do you think ?

Based on the outcome, I will start a vote.

Deepal

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Sagara Gunathunga-2

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
All,

Seems like we do not have enough activities going on Axis2/c and Axis1 project, and no clear plans for future release or bug fixes. Unless someone wants to come forward to keep the projects active I would consider moving them to Attic.

What do you think ?

+1 to move Axis2/c into Attic.

Sometimes back I have seen Andreas  was doing some improvements on Axis1  but not sure whether we are in a position to release it,
otherwise I'm ok to move Axis1 also into Attic.

Thanks !

Based on the outcome, I will start a vote.

Deepal

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Nadir Amra
I plan on working on Axis2/c in send half of the year....will include bug fixes.  I am open to also doing a future release.

Deepal jayasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote on 07/02/2015 09:17:35 PM:

> From: Deepal jayasinghe <[hidden email]>

> To: private <[hidden email]>, Apache AXIS C Developers List
> <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]

> Date: 07/02/2015 09:18 PM
> Subject: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic
>
> All,
>
> Seems like we do not have enough activities going on Axis2/c and Axis1
> project, and no clear plans for future release or bug fixes. Unless
> someone wants to come forward to keep the projects active I would
> consider moving them to Attic.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Based on the outcome, I will start a vote.
>
> Deepal

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Andreas Veithen-2
I'm in favor of _archiving_ Axis1/C++ and Axis2/C. By archiving I mean
doing the same as we did with inactive projects in Apache Web
Services, i.e. moving them to an archive area inside the PMC's SVN
tree. I think that's much easier than moving them to the Attic PMC.

Regarding the Axis(/Java) 1.x branch, getting it ready for a release
will require some work and that is not going to happen in the near
future. However, I think that keeping the branch alive is useful for
our users. The fact is that the original Axis 1.4 source distribution
is no longer buildable because of problems with modern JDKs and unit
tests that call external Web services that have been shut down long
ago. On the other hand, the code in the branch has been refactored to
use Maven, the unit tests with external (runtime) dependencies have
been fixed and the code is currently buildable. There is clear
evidence that users make use of that branch. Two recent examples:
AXIS-2442 (a user who checked out the Axis 1.x branch and then cherry
picked a patch from another abandoned branch) and [1] (a pull request
created using the Github mirror for that branch). I think that as long
as somebody (me) finds the time to keep that branch buildable and
there are users who use it to solve issues, there is no reason to shut
it down.

Andreas

[1] https://github.com/apache/axis1-java/pull/1

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 3:26 AM, Sagara Gunathunga
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Seems like we do not have enough activities going on Axis2/c and Axis1
>> project, and no clear plans for future release or bug fixes. Unless someone
>> wants to come forward to keep the projects active I would consider moving
>> them to Attic.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>>

> +1 to move Axis2/c into Attic.
>
> Sometimes back I have seen Andreas  was doing some improvements on Axis1
> but not sure whether we are in a position to release it,
> otherwise I'm ok to move Axis1 also into Attic.
>
> Thanks !
>

>> Based on the outcome, I will start a vote.
>>
>> Deepal

> Sagara Gunathunga
>
> Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
> Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Deepal Jayasinghe-2
What do we achieve from moving projects to archive ? we still need to
keep reporting to the board ?.

Above all, do we think we have enough cycles to fix issues and make
releases?

Deepal

> I'm in favor of _archiving_ Axis1/C++ and Axis2/C. By archiving I mean
> doing the same as we did with inactive projects in Apache Web
> Services, i.e. moving them to an archive area inside the PMC's SVN
> tree. I think that's much easier than moving them to the Attic PMC.
>
> Regarding the Axis(/Java) 1.x branch, getting it ready for a release
> will require some work and that is not going to happen in the near
> future. However, I think that keeping the branch alive is useful for
> our users. The fact is that the original Axis 1.4 source distribution
> is no longer buildable because of problems with modern JDKs and unit
> tests that call external Web services that have been shut down long
> ago. On the other hand, the code in the branch has been refactored to
> use Maven, the unit tests with external (runtime) dependencies have
> been fixed and the code is currently buildable. There is clear
> evidence that users make use of that branch. Two recent examples:
> AXIS-2442 (a user who checked out the Axis 1.x branch and then cherry
> picked a patch from another abandoned branch) and [1] (a pull request
> created using the Github mirror for that branch). I think that as long
> as somebody (me) finds the time to keep that branch buildable and
> there are users who use it to solve issues, there is no reason to shut
> it down.
>
> Andreas
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/axis1-java/pull/1
>
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 3:26 AM, Sagara Gunathunga
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Seems like we do not have enough activities going on Axis2/c and Axis1
>>> project, and no clear plans for future release or bug fixes. Unless someone
>>> wants to come forward to keep the projects active I would consider moving
>>> them to Attic.
>>>
>>> What do you think ?
>>>
>> +1 to move Axis2/c into Attic.
>>
>> Sometimes back I have seen Andreas  was doing some improvements on Axis1
>> but not sure whether we are in a position to release it,
>> otherwise I'm ok to move Axis1 also into Attic.
>>
>> Thanks !
>>
>>> Based on the outcome, I will start a vote.
>>>
>>> Deepal

>> --
>> Sagara Gunathunga
>>
>> Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
>> Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/
>> LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/ssagara

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Deepal Jayasinghe-2
Hi Nadir,

Thanks for the update, we are anyway in second half of the year now :)

Deepal
I plan on working on Axis2/c in send half of the year....will include bug fixes.  I am open to also doing a future release.

Deepal jayasinghe [hidden email] wrote on 07/02/2015 09:17:35 PM:

> From: Deepal jayasinghe [hidden email]

> To: private [hidden email], Apache AXIS C Developers List
> [hidden email], [hidden email]

> Date: 07/02/2015 09:18 PM
> Subject: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic
>
> All,
>
> Seems like we do not have enough activities going on Axis2/c and Axis1
> project, and no clear plans for future release or bug fixes. Unless
> someone wants to come forward to keep the projects active I would
> consider moving them to Attic.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Based on the outcome, I will start a vote.
>
> Deepal

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Andreas Veithen-2
The same as moving them to the Attic, except that you don't cross PMC
boundaries. You basically do two things:

- Move the SVN trees of the projects to /axis/archive.
- Add a notice to their sites saying that they are no longer active
(see e.g. http://ws.apache.org/wsif/) or remove/archive their sites
entirely.

Once that's done, you don't need to mention them in the board reports any more.

BTW, it's once thing to decide moving subprojects to the
archive/Attic, but we also need to implement these decisions. IIRC, we
decided to archive Sandesha2 and some other stuff, but that decision
has never been implemented.

Andreas

On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 1:33 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What do we achieve from moving projects to archive ? we still need to keep
> reporting to the board ?.
>
> Above all, do we think we have enough cycles to fix issues and make
> releases?
>
> Deepal
>>
>> I'm in favor of _archiving_ Axis1/C++ and Axis2/C. By archiving I mean
>> doing the same as we did with inactive projects in Apache Web
>> Services, i.e. moving them to an archive area inside the PMC's SVN
>> tree. I think that's much easier than moving them to the Attic PMC.
>>
>> Regarding the Axis(/Java) 1.x branch, getting it ready for a release
>> will require some work and that is not going to happen in the near
>> future. However, I think that keeping the branch alive is useful for
>> our users. The fact is that the original Axis 1.4 source distribution
>> is no longer buildable because of problems with modern JDKs and unit
>> tests that call external Web services that have been shut down long
>> ago. On the other hand, the code in the branch has been refactored to
>> use Maven, the unit tests with external (runtime) dependencies have
>> been fixed and the code is currently buildable. There is clear
>> evidence that users make use of that branch. Two recent examples:
>> AXIS-2442 (a user who checked out the Axis 1.x branch and then cherry
>> picked a patch from another abandoned branch) and [1] (a pull request
>> created using the Github mirror for that branch). I think that as long
>> as somebody (me) finds the time to keep that branch buildable and
>> there are users who use it to solve issues, there is no reason to shut
>> it down.
>>
>> Andreas
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/apache/axis1-java/pull/1
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 3:26 AM, Sagara Gunathunga
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> +1 to move Axis2/c into Attic.
>>>
>>> Sometimes back I have seen Andreas  was doing some improvements on Axis1
>>> but not sure whether we are in a position to release it,
>>> otherwise I'm ok to move Axis1 also into Attic.
>>>
>>> Thanks !

>>> --
>>> Sagara Gunathunga
>>>
>>> Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
>>> Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/
>>> LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/ssagara

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Deepal Jayasinghe-2
Sound good. I am +1 on having under one PMC boundary. So, let's try to
move them to archive. Will start a vote.

Regarding Sandesha2, I think we have to keep that with Axis branch,
because Axis2 needs those to fully function.

Deepal

On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Deepal jayasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sound good. I am +1 on having under one PMC boundary. So, let's try to move
> them to archive. Will start a vote.
>
> Regarding Sandesha2, I think we have to keep that with Axis branch, because
> Axis2 needs those to fully function.

For reference: http://markmail.org/thread/ogxygniqcesqyub2

Sandesha2 is an implementation of WS-RM, and that protocol is not
widely used. When I removed the build from Jenkins, it had concurrency
issues nobody has ever been able to figure out how to fix.

> Deepal
>
>> The same as moving them to the Attic, except that you don't cross PMC
>> boundaries. You basically do two things:
>>
>> - Move the SVN trees of the projects to /axis/archive.
>> - Add a notice to their sites saying that they are no longer active
>> (see e.g. http://ws.apache.org/wsif/) or remove/archive their sites
>> entirely.
>>
>> Once that's done, you don't need to mention them in the board reports any
>> more.
>>
>> BTW, it's once thing to decide moving subprojects to the
>> archive/Attic, but we also need to implement these decisions. IIRC, we
>> decided to archive Sandesha2 and some other stuff, but that decision
>> has never been implemented.
>>
>> Andreas
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 1:33 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> What do we achieve from moving projects to archive ? we still need to
>>> keep
>>> reporting to the board ?.
>>>
>>> Above all, do we think we have enough cycles to fix issues and make
>>> releases?
>>>
>>> Deepal

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Dinesh Weerapurage
+1 for moving Axis2/C into Attic. We do not have activities in mailing lists and development anyway.

thanks,
Dinesh.

--
Be happy

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 8:17 PM, Deepal jayasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
All,

Seems like we do not have enough activities going on Axis2/c and Axis1 project, and no clear plans for future release or bug fixes. Unless someone wants to come forward to keep the projects active I would consider moving them to Attic.

What do you think ?

Based on the outcome, I will start a vote.

Deepal

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Giorgio Zoppi
Dear all,
I wonder that there how can be that there is no interest on this with all embedded systems that we have outside,
Best Regards,
Giorgio.

+1 for moving Axis2/C into Attic. We do not have activities in mailing lists and development anyway.

thanks,
Dinesh.

--
Be happy

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 8:17 PM, Deepal jayasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
All,

Seems like we do not have enough activities going on Axis2/c and Axis1 project, and no clear plans for future release or bug fixes. Unless someone wants to come forward to keep the projects active I would consider moving them to Attic.

What do you think ?

Based on the outcome, I will start a vote.

Deepal

Quiero ser el rayo de sol que cada día te despierta
para hacerte respirar y vivir en me.
"Favola -Moda".

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Giorgio Zoppi
Dear all,
what if we can create a core group to fix the problems (leaks) of axis2/c and working remotely with sprints?
We need 5 people part time working. Volunteers?
Best Regards,
Giorgio.

[...]

"Favola -Moda".

RE: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Baxi, Rinil Rushabh

We are using this in production.

Best Regards,

Rinil

"Favola -Moda".

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Giorgio Zoppi
Dear all,
I see a future roadmap for axis2/c:

- Simplify multiplatorm build (Cmake is the standard now)
- Import and verifiy leaks fixes.
- Simplify and reduce code base.
- do we really an internal xml parser?
- do we really need ampq?
- get rid of java dependencies.

I would like to lead this effort, Starting from the first point, and i can dedicate part of my time (4/8 hours per week).
Any other people who can dedicate to this effort at least 10%/20% of their weekly time (4/8 hours per week).
Axis2/c afaik is used by many companies outside here (HP Printers, IBM, ecc) we want to create something standard faster then gSOAP and with rest support for embedded devices.

Best Regards,
Giorgio

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Giorgio Zoppi
Dear all,
I see a future roadmap for axis2/c:

- Simplify multiplatorm build (Cmake is the standard now)
- Import and verifiy leaks fixes.
- Simplify and reduce code base.
- Create a simple code generator in python, self contained.

- do we really an internal xml parser?
- do we really need ampq?
- get rid of java dependencies.

I would like to lead this effort, Starting from the first point, and i can dedicate part of my time (4/8 hours per week).
Any other people who can dedicate to this effort at least 10%/20% of their weekly time (4/8 hours per week).
Axis2/c afaik is used by many companies outside here (HP Printers, IBM, ecc) we want to create something standard faster then gSOAP and with rest support for embedded devices.

Best Regards,
Giorgio

RE: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Baxi, Rinil Rushabh

Hi Guys,

I am in. I can devote some of my time to it.

Best Regards,

Rinil

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Nadir Amra
I can spend time on it...starting August 1, 2015.

Giorgio Zoppi <[hidden email]> wrote on 07/05/2015 08:26:32 AM:

> From: Giorgio Zoppi <[hidden email]>

> To: Apache AXIS C Developers List <[hidden email]>
> Date: 07/05/2015 08:26 AM
> Subject: Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic
>
> Dear all,

> I see a future roadmap for axis2/c:

> - Simplify multiplatorm build (Cmake is the standard now)
> - Import and verifiy leaks fixes.
> - Simplify and reduce code base.
> - do we really an internal xml parser?
> - do we really need ampq?

> - get rid of java dependencies.

> I would like to lead this effort, Starting from the first point, and
> i can dedicate part of my time (4/8 hours per week).

> Any other people who can dedicate to this effort at least 10%/20% of
> their weekly time (4/8 hours per week).

> Axis2/c afaik is used by many companies outside here (HP Printers,
> IBM, ecc) we want to create something standard faster then gSOAP and
> with rest support for embedded devices.

> Best Regards,
> Giorgio

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Deepal Jayasinghe-2
This is awesome, let's get the momentum going. I will report the board about Axis2/c plan. Once we have more activities going on, I am sure we will have more people joining the team.

Deepal
I can spend time on it...starting August 1, 2015.

Giorgio Zoppi [hidden email] wrote on 07/05/2015 08:26:32 AM:

> From: Giorgio Zoppi [hidden email]

> To: Apache AXIS C Developers List [hidden email]
> Date: 07/05/2015 08:26 AM
> Subject: Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic
>
> Dear all,

> I see a future roadmap for axis2/c:

> - Simplify multiplatorm build (Cmake is the standard now)
> - Import and verifiy leaks fixes.
> - Simplify and reduce code base.
> - do we really an internal xml parser?
> - do we really need ampq?

> - get rid of java dependencies.

> I would like to lead this effort, Starting from the first point, and
> i can dedicate part of my time (4/8 hours per week).

> Any other people who can dedicate to this effort at least 10%/20% of
> their weekly time (4/8 hours per week).

> Axis2/c afaik is used by many companies outside here (HP Printers,
> IBM, ecc) we want to create something standard faster then gSOAP and
> with rest support for embedded devices.

> Best Regards,
> Giorgio

Re: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Giorgio Zoppi
Dear all,
please put your commited time:
Resources:
Me, 4/8 hours week.

From the PMC we want to have the possibility to lead the destiny of Axis2/C. The target of the development is actually to have a performant leak free webservice platform for embedded devices, less code and high quality. For the enterprise Axis Java is already there.
After the resources commited time, we need to discuss the plan priorities and divide tasks. We have all july to discuss the plan and the items include the plan. It is a pity let all that code die.

Best Regards,
Giorgio.

"Favola -Moda".

RE: Discussion - Moving Axis2/C and Axis1 to Attic

Baxi, Rinil Rushabh

Me also 4/8 hrs per week.

Best Regards,

Rinil