Inclusion of Google Test

Bill Blough

Google Test is under a pretty permissive license, so we could include it
in the axis2c distribution as a convenience.  However, I'm not sure what
the ASF policy is on this.

Can anyone comment on whether this is allowed and/or a good/bad idea, or
point me to documentation stating that this is or isn't allowed?  So far
I haven't been able to find anything helpful via search.

Thanks,
Bill

Re: Inclusion of Google Test

Rafael Bronzeri
Hi Bill,

I think that include the GTest (Google Test) is a great idea!

I've never saw any restrictions about it, but I don't know where to find some documentation about it.

I can help include GTest on Axis2C.

Best Regards,

Rafael Bronzeri

Em 04/03/2017 15:10, "Bill Blough" <[hidden email]> escreveu:

Google Test is under a pretty permissive license, so we could include it
in the axis2c distribution as a convenience.  However, I'm not sure what
the ASF policy is on this.

Can anyone comment on whether this is allowed and/or a good/bad idea, or
point me to documentation stating that this is or isn't allowed?  So far
I haven't been able to find anything helpful via search.

Thanks,
Bill

Re: Inclusion of Google Test

Bill Blough
Hi Rafael,

It's been a couple of weeks - have you made any progress on this?

I've not been feeling well, so I haven't had much ability to work on Axis,
but hope to get going again soon. Having gtest integrated will allow me
to work on adding new unit tests as well as porting existing tests.

If you don't have time, that's fine, I can do it.  But I don't want to
duplicate effort, so I thought I'd check if you're working on it.

Best regards,
Bill

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 12:22:10PM -0200, Rafael Bronzeri wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> I think that include the GTest (Google Test) is a great idea!
>
> I've never saw any restrictions about it, but I don't know where to find some
> documentation about it.
>
> I can help include GTest on Axis2C.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Rafael Bronzeri
>
> Em 04/03/2017 15:10, "Bill Blough" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>

>     Google Test is under a pretty permissive license, so we could include it
>     in the axis2c distribution as a convenience.  However, I'm not sure what
>     the ASF policy is on this.
>
>     Can anyone comment on whether this is allowed and/or a good/bad idea, or
>     point me to documentation stating that this is or isn't allowed?  So far
>     I haven't been able to find anything helpful via search.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Bill

Re: Inclusion of Google Test

Rafael Bronzeri
Hi Bill,

I didn't work on Axis2C lately.
I had started the adjustments of the Axis2C build, for Visual Studio 2017, but I not commited the source yet.

At the moment, I can work few hours/week, about 3 hours.

Do you intend integrate GTest on Make projects and Visual Studio solutions? Or lets change to CMake?

Rafael Bronzeri

Em 20/03/2017 17:07, "Bill Blough" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Hi Rafael,

It's been a couple of weeks - have you made any progress on this?

I've not been feeling well, so I haven't had much ability to work on Axis,
but hope to get going again soon. Having gtest integrated will allow me
to work on adding new unit tests as well as porting existing tests.

If you don't have time, that's fine, I can do it.  But I don't want to
duplicate effort, so I thought I'd check if you're working on it.

Best regards,
Bill

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 12:22:10PM -0200, Rafael Bronzeri wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> I think that include the GTest (Google Test) is a great idea!
>
> I've never saw any restrictions about it, but I don't know where to find some
> documentation about it.
>
> I can help include GTest on Axis2C.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Rafael Bronzeri
>
> Em 04/03/2017 15:10, "Bill Blough" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>

>     Google Test is under a pretty permissive license, so we could include it
>     in the axis2c distribution as a convenience.  However, I'm not sure what
>     the ASF policy is on this.
>
>     Can anyone comment on whether this is allowed and/or a good/bad idea, or
>     point me to documentation stating that this is or isn't allowed?  So far
>     I haven't been able to find anything helpful via search.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Bill

Re: Inclusion of Google Test

Bill Blough
Hi Rafael,

I don't have a Windows system, so any work for Visual Studio would need
to be done by someone else.

So far, all the patches I've submitted have been against the current
autotools-based build system.  Likewise, I had planned on adding GTest
support to the current build system.

I know migrating to CMake is on the roadmap, but since no one else seemed
very active, and since I know autotools far better than CMake, I figured
I'd be able to contribute more, faster, if I left CMake for later.

But that was all based on me doing much of the work alone. If you're
going to have time to contribute, too, then I don't have a problem with
changing the approach in order to enable us to better work together.

Would you prefer we convert to CMake first?

Bill

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 03:06:52PM -0300, Rafael Bronzeri wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> I didn't work on Axis2C lately.
> I had started the adjustments of the Axis2C build, for Visual Studio 2017, but
> I not commited the source yet.
>
> At the moment, I can work few hours/week, about 3 hours.
>
> Do you intend integrate GTest on Make projects and Visual Studio solutions? Or
> lets change to CMake?
>
> Rafael Bronzeri
>
> Em 20/03/2017 17:07, "Bill Blough" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>
>     Hi Rafael,
>
>     It's been a couple of weeks - have you made any progress on this?
>
>     I've not been feeling well, so I haven't had much ability to work on Axis,
>     but hope to get going again soon. Having gtest integrated will allow me
>     to work on adding new unit tests as well as porting existing tests.
>
>     If you don't have time, that's fine, I can do it.  But I don't want to
>     duplicate effort, so I thought I'd check if you're working on it.
>
>     Best regards,
>     Bill
>
>     On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 12:22:10PM -0200, Rafael Bronzeri wrote:
>     > Hi Bill,
>     >
>     > I think that include the GTest (Google Test) is a great idea!
>     >
>     > I've never saw any restrictions about it, but I don't know where to find
>     some
>     > documentation about it.
>     >
>     > I can help include GTest on Axis2C.
>     >
>     > Best Regards,
>     >
>     > Rafael Bronzeri
>     >
>     > Em 04/03/2017 15:10, "Bill Blough" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>     >
>     >
>     >     Google Test is under a pretty permissive license, so we could include
>     it
>     >     in the axis2c distribution as a convenience.  However, I'm not sure
>     what
>     >     the ASF policy is on this.
>     >
>     >     Can anyone comment on whether this is allowed and/or a good/bad idea,
>     or
>     >     point me to documentation stating that this is or isn't allowed?  So
>     far
>     >     I haven't been able to find anything helpful via search.
>     >
>     >     Thanks,
>     >     Bill
>     >
>     >     ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>     >     To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>     >     For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>     >
>     >
>     >

Re: Inclusion of Google Test

Rafael Bronzeri
I prefer add GTest support to the current build system, we think about convert to CMake later.

Let Visual Studio with me, I will do that.

I'm using official Axis2C Jira, so you can see what I'm doing, but I don't have privilege to close Tickets (Tasks), but I'm inserting the comments.

Rafael Bronzeri

Em 21/03/2017 16:17, "Bill Blough" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
> [...]

>     it
>     >     in the axis2c distribution as a convenience.  However, I'm not sure
>     what
>     >     the ASF policy is on this.
>     >
>     >     Can anyone comment on whether this is allowed and/or a good/bad idea,
>     or
>     >     point me to documentation stating that this is or isn't allowed?  So
>     far
>     >     I haven't been able to find anything helpful via search.
>     >
>     >     Thanks,
>     >     Bill
>     >
>     >     ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>     >     To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>     >     For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Inclusion of Google Test

Bill Blough
Sounds good to me.

I don't have commit access, so I've been opening a Jira ticket for each
logical unit of work and then attaching a patch.

I'll work on adding GTest to the current autotools build system.

Bill

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 08:21:48PM -0300, Rafael Bronzeri wrote:

> [...]
>     >     >     in the axis2c distribution as a convenience.  However, I'm not
>     sure
>     >     what
>     >     >     the ASF policy is on this.
>     >     >
>     >     >     Can anyone comment on whether this is allowed and/or a good/bad
>     idea,
>     >     or
>     >     >     point me to documentation stating that this is or isn't
>     allowed?  So
>     >     far
>     >     >     I haven't been able to find anything helpful via search.
>     >     >
>     >     >     Thanks,
>     >     >     Bill
>     >     >
>     >     >     -----------------------------------------------------------
>     >     For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Inclusion of Google Test

Rafael Bronzeri
Nice!

Ok, I have commit access, I can help with that.

Let's keep in touch.

Rafael

Em 21/03/2017 21:22, "Bill Blough" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
> [...]

>     >     >     in the axis2c distribution as a convenience.  However, I'm not
>     sure
>     >     what
>     >     >     the ASF policy is on this.
>     >     >
>     >     >     Can anyone comment on whether this is allowed and/or a good/bad
>     idea,
>     >     or
>     >     >     point me to documentation stating that this is or isn't
>     allowed?  So
>     >     far
>     >     >     I haven't been able to find anything helpful via search.
>     >     >
>     >     >     Thanks,
>     >     >     Bill
>     >     >
>     >     >     -----------------------------------------------------------
>     >     For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Inclusion of Google Test

Bill Blough
Hi,

Unfortunately, I had some unexpected things come up the past few months
and have been unable to spend much time on Axis.  However, going
forward, I hope to have more time.

I'm still in the process of adding GTest to the build.  However, I was
able to find clarification on the question of including 3rd party code.
According to [1], there's no problem including GTest in the
distribution, as it's licensed under a 3-clause BSD license.

What's the process for getting commit access?  I've already submitted my
ICLA to the secretary and have gotten confirmation back.

I don't have a problem continuing to upload patches to JIRA, but at some
point whoever applies them is going to have an interesting time figuring
out the right order in which to do so.

[1] https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a

Bill