Is it possible to combine AJAX (client-side) with AXIS (server-side)

Is it possible to combine AJAX (client-side) with AXIS (server-side)

Ajay Garg
Hi all.

I have been evaluating various options for a web-framework for simple passing of data-lists between clients and server, via HTTP.
In this regard, combining AJAX and AXIS (with SOAP) would be the ideal scenario for me.

Is it possible? If yes, is it recommended to combine these two technologies (as far as reliability is concerned)?

I will be grateful for any pointers :)

Regards,
Ajay

Ajay

Re: Is it possible to combine AJAX (client-side) with AXIS (server-side)

Ajay Garg
Thanks Rajika for the reply.

It seems from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16534963/ajax-axis2-communication-issue that using it with AJAX might indeed be possible :)

Just one question regarding AXIS2/C ::
===========================

Let's say "n" clients hit upon one same remote-API-call on AXIS2/C.
Will each of these client-requests be

     * served in individual dedicated "thread"s, meaning that there might be concurrency benefits?
       (as it happens in servlets running in Apache-Tomcat)

     * served in a single thread, sequentially? (i.e. first client "1" is served, then client "2", and so on ...)
       (as it happens in server-side Node.js)

     * served in a dedicated "process", meaning that there might be concurrency benefits (but of course, with the caveats of the "bulkiness"
        of a "process")?
       (as it happens in server-side PHP)

Thanks again !!!

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 3:37 AM, Rajika Kumarasiri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Axis2/C is a SOAP engine and it can process a SOAP request that comes from any kind of client.

Rajika

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 1:09 AM, Ajay Garg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all.

I have been evaluating various options for a web-framework for simple passing of data-lists between clients and server, via HTTP.
In this regard, combining AJAX and AXIS (with SOAP) would be the ideal scenario for me.

Is it possible? If yes, is it recommended to combine these two technologies (as far as reliability is concerned)?

I will be grateful for any pointers :)

Regards,
Ajay

Ajay

Ajay

AW: Is it possible to combine AJAX (client-side) with AXIS (server-side)

Andreas.Voellmy
Hi Ajay

As far as I understand, that depends on how you setup your server:

If you are using the simple-httpd Server that comes with axis2/c, I think that is normally sequentially.
But you can also set it up inside an apache server - where again it depents on how you setup your apache - both concurrent threads (with shared global memory) as well as processes (with separate memory) is possible.

Regards
Andreas

Ajay

Re: Is it possible to combine AJAX (client-side) with AXIS (server-side)

Ajay Garg
Hmm..
Ok, thanks !!

Thanks a ton for the clarification !!!

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 7:50 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ajay

As far as I understand, that depends on how you setup your server:

If you are using the simple-httpd Server that comes with axis2/c, I think that is normally sequentially.
But you can also set it up inside an apache server - where again it depents on how you setup your apache - both concurrent threads (with shared global memory) as well as processes (with separate memory) is possible.

Regards
Andreas

Ajay

Ajay

Re: AW: Is it possible to combine AJAX (client-side) with AXIS (server-side)

Thomas Gentsch

Perhaps it is possible to build it as single-threaded but normally also
the built-in simple http server is multi-threaded.
Just for completeness ... :-)
Rgds
  tge

On Tue, 2013-08-13 at 14:20 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Ajay
>
> As far as I understand, that depends on how you setup your server:
>
> If you are using the simple-httpd Server that comes with axis2/c, I
> think that is normally sequentially.
> But you can also set it up inside an apache server - where again it
> depents on how you setup your apache - both concurrent threads (with
> shared global memory) as well as processes (with separate memory) is
> possible.
>
> Regards
> Andreas
>

>         ______________________________________________________________

Thomas,
well.. your reply is in kinda contradiction with others' replies (no offense intended for anyone) :P

You mean, that if multiple clients happen to hit at a remote call (on the http_server) at the same time, each call will be served in a dedicated thread?

Ajay

On Wed, 2013-08-14 at 15:04 +0530, Ajay Garg wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> well.. your reply is in kinda contradiction with others' replies (no
> offense intended for anyone) :P
>

> You mean, that if multiple clients happen to hit at a remote call (on
> the http_server) at the same time, each call will be served in a
> dedicated thread?

Well, that's my observation. You can see that nicely on Linux using gdb:

$ gdb server
(gdb) r
Starting program: server
[New Thread 0xb5a13b70 (LWP 21189)]
[Thread 0xb5a13b70 (LWP 21189) exited]
[New Thread 0xb5a13b70 (LWP 21190)]
[New Thread 0xb5212b70 (LWP 21191)]
[New Thread 0xb4a11b70 (LWP 21192)]
[New Thread 0xb4210b70 (LWP 21193)]
[Thread 0xb5a13b70 (LWP 21190) exited]
[Thread 0xb4a11b70 (LWP 21192) exited]
[Thread 0xb5212b70 (LWP 21191) exited]
[Thread 0xb4210b70 (LWP 21193) exited]
[New Thread 0xb4210b70 (LWP 21194)]
[New Thread 0xb5212b70 (LWP 21195)]
[Thread 0xb4210b70 (LWP 21194) exited]
[Thread 0xb5212b70 (LWP 21195) exited]
[New Thread 0xb4a11b70 (LWP 21196)]

Happens whenever a client sends a request, in the example above I
started multiple in parallel.

Regards
  tge