JAXWS/Axis2 - problems generating correct structure of SOAP message

JAXWS/Axis2 - problems generating correct structure of SOAP message

Euan Milton
Hi all,

We have a web application which needs to consume an external web service.

To do this we have generated the set of Java artifacts from the WSDL via Maven using the wsdl2java goal provided by the cxf-codegen-plugin plugin.  The SEI generated by CXF is then used to invoke the web service.

The code to integrate with the actual web service is then packaged into a set of JARs and used inside the front end application which needs to use the web service.

As part of the integration JARs, we have written an integration test which actually invokes the third party web service and every works as expected and the test passes.

We are having an issue when the web application uses the integration JARs to invoke the web service. Exactly the same code is being executed by the FE application as is being used in our working integration test but the SOAP message which is ultimately generated is different between the two and the message generated by the actual web application is incorrect.

The working SOAP request produced by our integration tests is:

<S:Envelope xmlns:S="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
  <S:Body>
    <ns12:ProcessUIRequest xmlns:ns10="http://zzz/yyyentityview/validation/"
    xmlns:ns11="http://zzz/yyyview/search/list/"
    xmlns:ns12="http://zzz/yyywebservice/v5/types/"
    xmlns:ns2="http://zzz/yyyentityview/app/"
    xmlns:ns3="http://zzz/yyyentityview/client/"
    xmlns:ns4="http://zzz/yyyview/search/postcode/"
    xmlns:ns5="http://zzz/yyyview/app/"
    xmlns:ns6="http://zzz/yyyview/search/app/"
    xmlns:ns7="http://zzz/yyyview/search/bank/"
    xmlns:ns8="http://zzz/yyyview/uw/"
    xmlns:ns9="http://zzz/yyybase/">
      <ns12:ProcessUIRequest CallType="Submit" DisplayError="false"
      IsAnonymous="false" IsCompactRequest="false" IsError="false">
        <ns9:ModelData>
          <ns9:TransactionData ApplicationReference="20000003CR3.00000003"
          xsi:type="ns5:QuoteLoadTxnDataVO" />
        </ns9:ModelData>
        <ns9:Activity ActionCode="QuoteLoad" ActionMode="Default"
        ActivityCode="QuoteApplicationFull" ActivityMode="Default"
        ActivityReference="" ActivityStatus="Inital"
        ActivityTransaction="StartNewActivityAndLogOffUser"
        CanProceedWithValidationsOutstanding="true">
          <ns9:BusinessKeys>
            <item>
              <key>
                <string>ADVREF</string>
              </key>
              <value>
                <BusinessKeyVO KeyName="ADVREF" KeyValue="AVAGT01">
                  <BusinessKey KeyName="ADVREF" KeyType="Unknown"
                  KeyValue="AVAGT01" />
                </BusinessKeyVO>
              </value>
            </item>
          </ns9:BusinessKeys>
        </ns9:Activity>
      </ns12:ProcessUIRequest>
    </ns12:ProcessUIRequest>
  </S:Body>
</S:Envelope>

The POJO which is marshalled into that SOAP request is:

<tcp.ssgbase.BaseVO>
  <modelData>
    <transactionData class="tcp.ssgview.app.QuoteLoadTxnDataVO">
      <applicationReference>20000003CR3.00000003</applicationReference>
    </transactionData>
  </modelData>
  <activity>
    <businessKeys>
      <item>
        <tcp.serializable__dictionary.BusinessKeyItem>
          <key>
            <string>ADVREF</string>
          </key>
          <value>
            <businessKeyVO>
              <businessKey>
                <keyName>ADVREF</keyName>
                <keyValue>AVAGT01</keyValue>
                <keyType>Unknown</keyType>
              </businessKey>
              <keyName>ADVREF</keyName>
              <keyValue>AVAGT01</keyValue>
            </businessKeyVO>
          </value>
        </tcp.serializable__dictionary.BusinessKeyItem>
      </item>
    </businessKeys>
    <actionMode>DEFAULT</actionMode>
    <activityMode>DEFAULT</activityMode>
    <activityTransaction>START_NEW_ACTIVITY_AND_LOG_OFF_USER</activityTransaction>
    <actionCode>QuoteLoad</actionCode>
    <activityReference></activityReference>
    <activityStatus>INITAL</activityStatus>
    <activityCode>QuoteApplicationFull</activityCode>
    <canProceedWithValidationsOutstanding>true</canProceedWithValidationsOutstanding>
  </activity>
  <displayError>false</displayError>
  <isAnonymous>false</isAnonymous>
  <isError>false</isError>
  <isCompactRequest>false</isCompactRequest>
  <callType>SUBMIT</callType>
</tcp.ssgbase.BaseVO>

The SOAP request generated by the actual web application is:

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope">
  <soapenv:Body>
    <ns2:ProcessUIRequest xmlns:ns2="http://zzz/yyywebservice/v5/types/">
      <processUIRequest>
        <activity>
          <actionCode>QuoteLoad</actionCode>
          <actionMode>DEFAULT</actionMode>
          <activityCode>QuoteApplicationFull</activityCode>
          <activityMode>DEFAULT</activityMode>
          <activityReference />
          <activityStatus>INITAL</activityStatus>
          <activityTransaction>
          START_NEW_ACTIVITY_AND_LOG_OFF_USER</activityTransaction>
          <businessKeys />
          <canProceedWithValidationsOutstanding>
          true</canProceedWithValidationsOutstanding>
        </activity>
        <callType>SUBMIT</callType>
        <displayError>false</displayError>
        <isAnonymous>false</isAnonymous>
        <isCompactRequest>false</isCompactRequest>
        <isError>false</isError>
        <modelData>
          <transactionData xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
          xsi:type="ns2:quoteLoadTxnDataVO">
            <applicationReference>
            20000003ESF.00000018</applicationReference>
          </transactionData>
        </modelData>
      </processUIRequest>
    </ns2:ProcessUIRequest>
  </soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

[...]

You can see that the structure of the two requests are different even though the code being executed in our integration JARs is exactly the same and the structure of the POJOs used to create the SOAP message is the same (barring one value).  The message produced by the integration test is the correct one.  If you look at the structure of the <activity> object in each message, you can see that in the message produced by the integration test, the majority of the data is produced as attributes, whereas in the message produced by the web app contains everything as actual child nodes of activity.  As per the WSDL and XSD definition of the web service interface, the request produced by the integration test is correct.

Our code to generate the correct service endpoint interface implementation is:

private <T> T createServiceObject(final Class<T> p_seiClass) throws ApplicationException {
        try {
            final Service serviceFactory = Service.create(new URL(wsdlLocation), new QName(targetNamespace, serviceName));

            final SoapHandlerResolver handlerResolver = new SoapHandlerResolver();
            handlerResolver.addHandler(new SoapMessageLoggingHandler());
            serviceFactory.setHandlerResolver(handlerResolver);

            final T service = serviceFactory.getPort(p_seiClass);
            ((BindingProvider) service).getRequestContext().put(BindingProvider.ENDPOINT_ADDRESS_PROPERTY,
                "endpoint");

            return service;
        } catch (MalformedURLException e) {
            throw new ApplicationException(ApplicationErrorCode.COMM_ERR_UNEXPECTED_ERROR, e);
        }
    }

The only difference I have noticed between running our integration test and running via the web application is the instance of the service object that is created via serviceFactory.getPort.

We run the integration test via jUnit in Eclipse and it uses standard Java libraries from the JRE configured in Eclipse to load the required service object.

The web application is running on WebSphere Application Server and when the serviceFactory.getPort method call returns an instance of the org.apache.axis2.jaxws.client.proxy.JASWXProxyHandler as the type of the service object.

So it looks to me as if the Axis2 implementation of making the service call is not picking the up the correct WSDL definition and thus is not serialising the request POJO into the request SOAP message.

I've used the same mechanism to call many other web services before and never had this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the underlying issue could be?  Or any pointers as to where I could investigate further?  I'm at a bit of a dead end at the moment.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Euan

RE: JAXWS/Axis2 - problems generating correct structure of SOAP message

Euan Milton
An update on this.....

I've fixed the issue with the message generation by using the CXF runtime within the application rather than the Axis2 JAXWS implementation that is used by default in WAS.

I'm interested in knowing what could be the difference in the Axis2 implemenation compared to the CXF implementation which would cause the problem mentioned below.  Can anyone provide any help with this?

Please note that we have integrated with several other web services using the same pattern - CXF to generate the client artifacts and then use the default JAX-WS runtime within WAS - and we haven't had any issues so it doesn't point to any incompatibility between the two.

Cheers,

Euan