Re: Axis move to the Attic (was: Board concerns over Axis project reports - README)

Re: Axis move to the Attic (was: Board concerns over Axis project reports - README)

Bill Blough

I didn't respond to the previous email because I am neither a committer
nor a PMC member.  But since there has been no response (I had assumed
there might be some on the private list, but apparently not), I'd like to
chime in.

Some applications I'm responsible for rely on axis2-c quite a bit.
Therefore I have a vested interest in keeping axis going, and am willing
to commit some time to it.

I've made some recent patch contributions trying to further the 1.7.0
roadmap that was previously laid out.  However, I cannot commit them, so
they sit in JIRA.  (Side note: I subbitted my ICLA to the secretary (and
was ACK'd), so I'm clear to become a committer if someone were to
approve it.)

I haven't done much work on axis lately, because I'm stuck in a sort of
limbo. I want axis to succeed, but I have limited time to work on
FLOSS projects - if axis is destined for the attic (it seems so from the
lack of activity), then my time is better spent elsewhere.  But if it's
going to be around for a while, then it's worth it to me to work on it.
However, I don't want to spend a ton of time working on improvements
only to have them never committed and the whole project shuffled off to
the attic.  I would be better off spending that time finding and
migrating to another library (not that any good options really exist,

So with that said - I'm willing to commit to some number of hours per
month (I'm not sure what that number is yet) to working on axis.  If
that needs to include participating in the board, then I would be willing to
do that as well.  But my commitment is dependent on enough other
people stepping up to keep axis moving forward and out of the attic.