Retiring Sandesha2 from 1.7.0 release

Sagara Gunathunga-2
I believe this is the right time to bring this discussion due to
following reasons.

1. For many years I never see any user mail that indicate real use of
Sandesha2, It's a question to me whether anyone still expecting newer
versions of Sandesha2.

2. In my POV RM is not popular and not widely used as other WS
technologies. Further some of the main users of Sandesha2 such as
Synapse already decided to drop RM support.

3. From many years no one actively develop Sandesha2 code base and
current situation is pathetic as test cases failing from time to time
and no one have time/experience  to fix them.

Going forward retiring Sandesha2 will help to keep health of Axis TLP
hence here is my +1.

Having said if someone willing to actively develop and maintain
Sandesha2 project in near future I'm more than happy to withdraw my
proposal

Thanks !

--
Sagara Gunathunga

Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Re: Retiring Sandesha2 from 1.7.0 release

Kishanthan Thangarajah
+1

Thanks,
Kishanthan.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 10:21 PM, Sagara Gunathunga
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe this is the right time to bring this discussion due to
> following reasons.
>
> 1. For many years I never see any user mail that indicate real use of
> Sandesha2, It's a question to me whether anyone still expecting newer
> versions of Sandesha2.
>
> 2. In my POV RM is not popular and not widely used as other WS
> technologies. Further some of the main users of Sandesha2 such as
> Synapse already decided to drop RM support.
>
> 3. From many years no one actively develop Sandesha2 code base and
> current situation is pathetic as test cases failing from time to time
> and no one have time/experience  to fix them.
>
> Going forward retiring Sandesha2 will help to keep health of Axis TLP
> hence here is my +1.
>
> Having said if someone willing to actively develop and maintain
> Sandesha2 project in near future I'm more than happy to withdraw my
> proposal
>

> Thanks !
>
> --
> Sagara Gunathunga
>
> Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
> Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Re: Retiring Sandesha2 from 1.7.0 release

Hiranya Jayathilaka-3
+1

Dormant extensions like these shouldn't hold back the Axis2 core from being released.

Thanks,
Hiranya

On Jan 26, 2014, at 8:51 AM, Sagara Gunathunga <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hiranya Jayathilaka
Mayhem Lab/RACE Lab;
Dept. of Computer Science, UCSB;  http://cs.ucsb.edu
E-mail: [hidden email];  Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B1%20%28805%29%20895-7443" value="+18058957443" target="_blank" style="color: rgb(17, 85, 204); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">+1 (805) 895-7443
Blog: http://techfeast-hiranya.blogspot.com

Re: Retiring Sandesha2 from 1.7.0 release

Shameera Rathnayaka
+1

Thanks,
Shameera.

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Andreas Veithen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Best Regards,
Shameera Rathnayaka.

Thanks and Regards,
Isuru

RE: Retiring Sandesha2 from 1.7.0 release

Brian Reinhold

Hope it will still be available for those of us who still use it.

Brian

[...]

Blog :
http://shameerarathnayaka.blogspot.com/

--
Thanks and Regards,
Isuru

No virus found in this message.

RE: Retiring Sandesha2 from 1.7.0 release

Martin Gainty

Brian and I both work in HealthCare Space in the Greater Boston area
It is vitally important to retain the older Axis2 distros (and modules) available so we will always have the necessary artifacts to build mission-critical HealthCare Applications
Let me know if that will be a problem so we can explore mitigation strategies

Vielen Danke,
Martin
Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 17:51:52 -0500

Hope it will still be available for those of us who still use it.

Brian

Re: Retiring Sandesha2 from 1.7.0 release

Hiranya Jayathilaka-3
<base href="x-msg://3197/">
Hi Martin,

I believe, by "retiring" what Sagara meant was moving the code and the relevant artifacts to a special archive area (something like Apache Attic). So the old code and the binaries will still be available for download for anyone who's interested in them. Sagara, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Hiranya

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 17:51:52 -0500

[...]

LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/ssagara

For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

--
Best Regards,
Shameera Rathnayaka.

email: shameera AT apache.org , shameerainfo AT gmail.com
Blog :
http://shameerarathnayaka.blogspot.com/

--
Thanks and Regards,
Isuru

Hiranya Jayathilaka
Mayhem Lab/RACE Lab;
Dept. of Computer Science, UCSB;  http://cs.ucsb.edu
E-mail: [hidden email];  Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B1%20%28805%29%20895-7443" value="+18058957443" target="_blank" style="color: rgb(17, 85, 204); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">+1 (805) 895-7443
Blog: http://techfeast-hiranya.blogspot.com

Re: Retiring Sandesha2 from 1.7.0 release

Sagara Gunathunga-2
On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Hiranya Jayathilaka
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I believe, by "retiring" what Sagara meant was moving the code and the
> relevant artifacts to a special archive area (something like Apache Attic).
> So the old code and the binaries will still be available for download for
> anyone who's interested in them. Sagara, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, old code and the binaries will still be available for download
but no more new releases such as 1.7.0 or bug fixes. BTW if anyone
wants they can fork the code in somewhere like GitHub and can continue
maintenance. Other than Martin and Brian I also got some personal mail
from Sandsha2 users so to make it clear if there is an active
community behind Sandsha2 project then we don't need to retire it,
even now if Sandeha2  community can fix failing test cases and provide
patches for bugs then we can rescue and continue the project.

Thanks !