axis2/c on ARM with lighttpd

Woody Wu
Hi,

I want to choose a web service engine workable on my ARM+lighttpd environment.  For axis2/c, it requires that axis2/c can be cross compiled for ARM and that the axis2/c does not require apache httpd itself as web server. Since I am quite new to axis2/c, could some be kind to clarify theses points for me?

Thanks in advance.

-woody, sent from mobile

Re: axis2/c on ARM with lighttpd

Thomas Gentsch

A few months ago I built Axis2C natively (i.e. directly on an ARM Linux
sys!) w/o any problems as far as I can remember. Works the usual way:
1. Unpack sources
2. ./configure
3. make
done.
Possibly some build tools must be installed first.

I never did any cross-compiling, hence cannot say anything about this,
but would expect that this is basically a matter of specifying the right
compiler flags (?)
When running configure (use --help) you can set compiler flags.

Regarding lighttpd - no idea, but would be interesting to me too. Axis2c
has an apache integration, so assuming lighthttpd supports the same
module extension mechanism, it's probably the same/similar

HTH :-)
  tge

On November 3, 2014 5:00:20 PM GMT+08:00, e-tge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>A few months ago I built Axis2C natively (i.e. directly on an ARM Linux
>sys!) w/o any problems as far as I can remember. Works the usual way:
>1. Unpack sources
>2. ./configure
>3. make
>done.
>Possibly some build tools must be installed first.
>
>I never did any cross-compiling, hence cannot say anything about this,
>but would expect that this is basically a matter of specifying the
>right
>compiler flags (?)
>When running configure (use --help) you can set compiler flags.

That's a good news to me, sounds likely.  Thanks!

>Regarding lighttpd - no idea, but would be interesting to me too.
>Axis2c
>has an apache integration, so assuming lighthttpd supports the same
>module extension mechanism, it's probably the same/similar
>
>HTH :-)
>  tge

What modules that axis2/c requires from apache?

>On So, 2014-11-02 at 16:13 +0800, Woody Wu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to choose a web service engine workable on my ARM+lighttpd
>environment.  For axis2/c, it requires that axis2/c can be cross
>compiled for ARM and that the axis2/c does not require apache httpd
>itself as web server. Since I am quite new to axis2/c, could some be
>kind to clarify theses points for me?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> -woody, sent from mobile

Re: axis2/c on ARM with lighttpd

Thomas Gentsch

If you look through the sources, you will find a directory
src/core/transport/http/server/apache2 with some code inside that looks
to me as if the result is an Apache module.

I.e. probably the other way around - you deploy Axis2c as module into an
Apache server.
Never tried that but worth a look :-)

1 more note, came to my mind: there is a google code "fork" project
which has quite some fixes that are afaik not in Apache Axis2c yet
(primarily memory leaks), if you experience such a problem, have a look
there

Regards,
  tge

On Mo, 2014-11-03 at 21:58 +0800, Woody Wu wrote:

> On November 3, 2014 5:00:20 PM GMT+08:00, e-tge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >A few months ago I built Axis2C natively (i.e. directly on an ARM Linux
> >sys!) w/o any problems as far as I can remember. Works the usual way:
> >1. Unpack sources
> >2. ./configure
> >3. make
> >done.
> >Possibly some build tools must be installed first.
> >
> >I never did any cross-compiling, hence cannot say anything about this,
> >but would expect that this is basically a matter of specifying the
> >right
> >compiler flags (?)
> >When running configure (use --help) you can set compiler flags.
> >
> That's a good news to me, sounds likely.  Thanks!
>
> >Regarding lighttpd - no idea, but would be interesting to me too.
> >Axis2c
> >has an apache integration, so assuming lighthttpd supports the same
> >module extension mechanism, it's probably the same/similar
> >
> >HTH :-)
> >  tge
> >

> What modules that axis2/c requires from apache?
>
> >On So, 2014-11-02 at 16:13 +0800, Woody Wu wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I want to choose a web service engine workable on my ARM+lighttpd
> >environment.  For axis2/c, it requires that axis2/c can be cross
> >compiled for ARM and that the axis2/c does not require apache httpd
> >itself as web server. Since I am quite new to axis2/c, could some be
> >kind to clarify theses points for me?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> -woody, sent from mobile

RE: axis2/c on ARM with lighttpd

Stadelmann Josef-2
AFAIK
I think you have two options with Axis2/C

a) a simple standalone http server (was called not production quality in the past)
b) axis2/C as a module, which is then engaged/called by apache webserver, to be adapted for lighttpd

Then I think you need to have a closer look at where and what and how apache web server engages/calls the axis2 module.
Then if you understand that, learn how lighttpd adapts a module, start with something very simple, then take the relevant axis2/C
code/module to match/fit into your  lighttpd web server as a module.

So  - dive deep into lighttpd and read
http://redmine.lighttpd.net/projects/1/wiki/HowToWriteALighttpdPlugin
because that is what you have to do anyway;

In my mind you will very likely end up building your lighttpd yourself from source code.

Josef (without knowing lighttpd but said this from a raw architecture point of view)

On November 3, 2014 5:00:20 PM GMT+08:00, e-tge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>A few months ago I built Axis2C natively (i.e. directly on an ARM Linux
>sys!) w/o any problems as far as I can remember. Works the usual way:
>1. Unpack sources
>2. ./configure
>3. make
>done.
>Possibly some build tools must be installed first.
>
>I never did any cross-compiling, hence cannot say anything about this,
>but would expect that this is basically a matter of specifying the
>right compiler flags (?) When running configure (use --help) you can
>set compiler flags.

That's a good news to me, sounds likely.  Thanks!

>Regarding lighttpd - no idea, but would be interesting to me too.
>Axis2c
>has an apache integration, so assuming lighthttpd supports the same
>module extension mechanism, it's probably the same/similar
>
>HTH :-)
>  tge

What modules that axis2/c requires from apache?

>On So, 2014-11-02 at 16:13 +0800, Woody Wu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to choose a web service engine workable on my ARM+lighttpd
>environment.  For axis2/c, it requires that axis2/c can be cross
>compiled for ARM and that the axis2/c does not require apache httpd
>itself as web server. Since I am quite new to axis2/c, could some be
>kind to clarify theses points for me?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> -woody, sent from mobile

Re: axis2/c on ARM with lighttpd

Woody Wu
Hi, Stadelmann

How do you thing about the option (a) if I run lighttpd only for those not so many static web pages on my device and run axis2/c only for providing web services for my non-browser clients that run on PC? The axis/2 and lighttpd could be running on totally separated http ports? Do you think it's feasible?

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: axis2/c on ARM with lighttpd

Thomas Gentsch

Even if not being asked directly, I comment :-)

The simple built-in HTTP server runs quite OK (I've been using it in a
project for years meanwhile), only:
- as stated earlier I adopted a couple of fixes from that google code
  side project, testing with valgrind is a good idea (problematic on
  ARM though) to find memory leaks
- using different ports is no problem at all (from the Axis2c
  perspective)

HTH tge :-)

On Mo, 2014-11-10 at 21:52 +0700, Woody Wu wrote:

> Hi, Stadelmann
>

> How do you thing about the option (a) if I run lighttpd only for those
> not so many static web pages on my device and run axis2/c only for
> providing web services for my non-browser clients that run on PC? The
> axis/2 and lighttpd could be running on totally separated http ports?
> Do you think it's feasible?
>

> On Tuesday, 4 November 2014, Stadelmann Josef
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         AFAIK
>         I think you have two options with Axis2/C
>
>         a) a simple standalone http server (was called not production
>         quality in the past)
>         b) axis2/C as a module, which is then engaged/called by apache
>         webserver, to be adapted for lighttpd
>
>         Then I think you need to have a closer look at where and what
>         and how apache web server engages/calls the axis2 module.
>         Then if you understand that, learn how lighttpd adapts a
>         module, start with something very simple, then take the
>         relevant axis2/C
>         code/module to match/fit into your  lighttpd web server as a
>         module.
>
>         So  - dive deep into lighttpd and read
>         http://redmine.lighttpd.net/projects/1/wiki/HowToWriteALighttpdPlugin
>         because that is what you have to do anyway;
>
>         In my mind you will very likely end up building your lighttpd
>         yourself from source code.
>
>         Josef (without knowing lighttpd but said this from a raw
>         architecture point of view)

Hi Woody

Think of your development and runtime environment first. You go for an ARM HW with some kind of a OS which has already lighttpd on board. OK. I would follow this architecture. Learn how the modules for lighttpd are developed, downloaded, engaged and debugged first. Do that with a simple module. You will learn how to develop on a PC/Lab-Top for an embedded device (isn’t it?) Embedded devices consisting of ARM’s and other HW demand very specific development environments. Learn about that first. If you master your first simple module, using your development environment, you know almost how to cross compile for ARM, how to debug your module, how do download firmware, how to debug it in the simulator or on the real target HW/OS Environment.. Then you can take others much more complex sources like the simple http axis2 service engine é all, and cross compile it to become a lighttpd module. I am saying that because you don’t need only the Axis2/C simple server but many of the lower level layers like Axiom and Axutil’s xml2lib. Go by debugger and look how they work.

It depends on your architecture, HW/SW constraints, design you like, flexibility, secureness, robustness, traffic, amounts, etc. etc.

It sounds OK for me for your trials; And if it fits for you, well done.

Just be aware that the Axis2/C simple http server is said not to be of production server quality.

The simple http server is in fact an Axis2 engine on top of a simple http server, all written in C.

I would also start first making my experiments solely on a PC / Lab-Top for Axis2/C. If you make your services r7unning there Client and server, you know again much more. Then add complexity by cross compiling and moving things to a different environment, and setup for remote debugging etc.

My thoughts. Don’t know how good you are already doing so.

Josef

Sent from Gmail Mobile

RE: axis2/c on ARM with lighttpd

Stadelmann Josef-2
Have you ever built and debugged all of axis2/C and it's simple http based service engine engaging your module (service) on a simple development environment like a PC?
That is what I would do first.

Josef

Even if not being asked directly, I comment :-)

The simple built-in HTTP server runs quite OK (I've been using it in a project for years meanwhile), only:
- as stated earlier I adopted a couple of fixes from that google code
  side project, testing with valgrind is a good idea (problematic on
  ARM though) to find memory leaks
- using different ports is no problem at all (from the Axis2c
  perspective)

HTH tge :-)

On Mo, 2014-11-10 at 21:52 +0700, Woody Wu wrote:

> Hi, Stadelmann
>

> How do you thing about the option (a) if I run lighttpd only for those
> not so many static web pages on my device and run axis2/c only for
> providing web services for my non-browser clients that run on PC? The
> axis/2 and lighttpd could be running on totally separated http ports?
> Do you think it's feasible?
>

> On Tuesday, 4 November 2014, Stadelmann Josef
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         AFAIK
>         I think you have two options with Axis2/C
>
>         a) a simple standalone http server (was called not production
>         quality in the past)
>         b) axis2/C as a module, which is then engaged/called by apache
>         webserver, to be adapted for lighttpd
>
>         Then I think you need to have a closer look at where and what
>         and how apache web server engages/calls the axis2 module.
>         Then if you understand that, learn how lighttpd adapts a
>         module, start with something very simple, then take the
>         relevant axis2/C
>         code/module to match/fit into your  lighttpd web server as a
>         module.
>
>         So  - dive deep into lighttpd and read
>         http://redmine.lighttpd.net/projects/1/wiki/HowToWriteALighttpdPlugin
>         because that is what you have to do anyway;
>
>         In my mind you will very likely end up building your lighttpd
>         yourself from source code.
>
>         Josef (without knowing lighttpd but said this from a raw
>         architecture point of view)

Hi, e-tag,

Many thanks for your comments!

On November 11, 2014 4:31:39 PM GMT+08:00, e-tge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Even if not being asked directly, I comment :-)
>
>The simple built-in HTTP server runs quite OK (I've been using it in a
>project for years meanwhile), only:
>- as stated earlier I adopted a couple of fixes from that google code
>  side project, testing with valgrind is a good idea (problematic on
>  ARM though) to find memory leaks
>- using different ports is no problem at all (from the Axis2c
>  perspective)
>
>HTH tge :-)
>
>On Mo, 2014-11-10 at 21:52 +0700, Woody Wu wrote:
>> Hi, Stadelmann
>>

>> How do you thing about the option (a) if I run lighttpd only for
>those
>> not so many static web pages on my device and run axis2/c only for
>> providing web services for my non-browser clients that run on PC? The
>> axis/2 and lighttpd could be running on totally separated http ports?
>> Do you think it's feasible?
>>

>> On Tuesday, 4 November 2014, Stadelmann Josef
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>         AFAIK
>>         I think you have two options with Axis2/C
>>
>>         a) a simple standalone http server (was called not production
>>         quality in the past)
>>         b) axis2/C as a module, which is then engaged/called by
>apache
>>         webserver, to be adapted for lighttpd
>>
>>         Then I think you need to have a closer look at where and what
>>         and how apache web server engages/calls the axis2 module.
>>         Then if you understand that, learn how lighttpd adapts a
>>         module, start with something very simple, then take the
>>         relevant axis2/C
>>         code/module to match/fit into your  lighttpd web server as a
>>         module.
>>
>>         So  - dive deep into lighttpd and read
>>
>http://redmine.lighttpd.net/projects/1/wiki/HowToWriteALighttpdPlugin
>>         because that is what you have to do anyway;
>>
>>         In my mind you will very likely end up building your lighttpd
>>         yourself from source code.
>>
>>         Josef (without knowing lighttpd but said this from a raw
>>         architecture point of view)

Thanks for your kind explains.  I knew how to cross development on my board. I already ported many libraries, utils for my boards, sometimes it is quite easy and sometimes it took time.  I also write a lot of c application on my board to make provide business functions.

Now, after you told that, I think I need to learn develop simple lighthttpd modules and port axis2/c as a lighttpd module. Sounds not an easy task, but I like to try.

What supprised me is that I still need things othet than axis2/c and lighthttpd, you mentioned axiom, xml2lib already.  Why I still need these even after if I already had axis2/c?

Thanks.

-woody

-woody, sent from mobile